Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Final Reflections on Technology and Educational Leadership

When I first read the description for this class, I became a bit scared. I really did not know what to expect. Technology savvy is not a characteristic that people who know me would use to describe me. I had not realized the importance of technology today or how it is expected to become in the future especially if a person wants to become a great well rounded educational leader.

When I first read the syllabus for the class one of the main outcomes I envisioned was to learn the basics about technology. By basics, I mean learn about different educational technology websites, continue working together with others on the discussion board, compose a PowerPoint, set up a blog and keep up with it throughout the five weeks of class but most importantly, learn about the Technology TEKS and the Long-Range Plan for Technology and how it will greatly impact education in the long run. Overall, I believe I achieved those outcomes plus more. As a technology director, I must have the knowledge of all the different technological aspects that are being offered and know them first hand so that I can teach the administrators and classroom teachers how to incorporate it in their everyday teaching. The actual course outcomes aligned with those those that I envisioned. The most important outcome I had and did not realize how much would be a part of the class was the "hands on" process.

To the extent that I achieved the outcomes, I truly believe that they are relevant to the work I do in my school. As a technology director, I must be the example but most importantly the teacher to everyone in the district which not only includes administrator, teachers, support staff and students but also the parents and the community. After reviewing the Long-Range Plan for Technology, I have a large task ahead of me. The Long-Range Plan for Technology began in 2006 and is suppose to be met at its full capacity by 2020. It might be ten years away but we have to remember that time flies. Everything that I have learned in this class will become even more relevant as we get closer to 2020. I believe this process is not being taught and followed through as much as it should but little by little, we will get there.

I believe that I achieved all the outcomes that I wanted to achieve but the only problem that I had is that everything seemed so rushed. I would have loved to have maybe taken two weeks on each assignment so that I could have had more hands on practice. I know this class is only five weeks long but I believed the five weeks were only long enough to learn the minimal basics of technology. I had worked off of someone else's PowerPoint in the past but never from scratch. I loved going through the process from the beginning to the end. As a technology director, I would want to make sure that all administrators and teachers would be properly trained in putting together a PowerPoint. The veteran teachers and administrators probably never learned that in their education classes so a training would be great. I also believe that letting all educators but especially parents and the community know about the Long-Range Technology Plan would open up every one's eyes to how important technology is going to become in the future.

I believe I was successful in carrying out the course assignments but overall I think I could have done better. Time was very crucial in this class. I took this class during the busiest time of the school year and I have an eighteen month daughter. This class made me learn, the hard way, how to balance a full-time job, sponsoring extra curricular activities, a family and a home. When I first would read the instructions to each of the assignment, they seemed very hard and overwhelming but after posting my first blog during the first week assignment, I started feeling a bit more excited and less overwhelmed. As a technology director, one must be ready to re-assure the administrators and teachers that it is not as hard and complicated as they might think. I would never have known how easy it was to set up a blog if it was not for this class. The only thing is that you have to make the time to keep up with it. Time is always the problem or excuse.

I learned so much about myself from this course. About myself, I learned that I have to stop making excuses and just do it. I want to make sure and use technology in my classes and talk to my colleagues about how important it is to integrate technology in their teachings. I have also learned that I need to learn so much more about technology. I need to make sure and keep up with what is out there so that I can learn from it and become a better leader. Before taking this class, my attitude was not the most positive when it came to technology. I have never used technology in the classroom or in my small learning community meetings. I now want to make sure and incorporate it as much or as little as I can with my students and my fellow colleagues. Any type of technology I can incorporate in the classroom is great. My students would love it so much because that would make my class even more exciting and would keep their interest throughout the course.

After learning so much about blogs and blogging, I have learned that there are so many educational blogs out there. I believe that the educational value that blogs and blogging has to the 21st century learner is that everyone needs to learn to expand their ways and be open to different options and opinions. When we did the assignment of the STaR Chart power point, it was great to see the different ways that everyone presented the overall assignment. Looking at the different presentations gave me ideas to improve my power point and getting comments from other students in the class was a great way communicate and feel like someone cared enough to take the time to complement you or give you ideas. In the section of Introducing the 21st Century Learner of the Long-Range Plan for Technology, some of the key ideas tell us that our students need to be able to communicate every way possible and I believe blogging is a great way to do this so long as it is educational.

Some of the concerns of blogs and blogging in education is that people believe that it is like blogging on My Space. My Space and Face book have given blogs and blogging a bad name and would probably never associate blogs and blogging to education. Our school district has trained all the teachers how to start up a blog but there has not been too much follow through. As a Technology Director, one must make sure and train the teachers appropriately and make sure they understand everything about blogs and how blogging can become a great way to teach students so much more about the positive and educational uses of technology. Our school district uses blogs but not all the teachers and administrators are on board. Our students want variety. Blogs and blogging would be a great way to get our students more involved in their classes but instead of blogging about their everyday life they would blog about their assignment in class.

There are so many ways to use blogging to communicate with school stakeholders. Our school district set up a twitter page this school year and it is really great to go in there and read over the comments that the community places on the page. I believe it would be a great idea for all principals to have blogs to communicate with their teachers, students and parents. Being a teacher myself, I would love to get online and read weekly blogs that my principal might post and be able to post my comments. I believe this could bring us closer as a staff. Principals are probably not to keen to this idea because they do not want it to become a complaints blog but if the principal sets us rules and make sure the teachers abide by them, it should not become a gripe session blog. I believe a blog would make those teachers that do not like to speak out loud in front of their colleagues feel a bit more comfortable in communicating by using the blog.

Our school district, has a web page that they keep up with daily. The web page is one of the best information tools that our district uses. After taking this class, I have learned about pod casts. Our school district website has recently posted a podcast from our superintendent and school board president wishing everyone a great holiday season. It is short and sweet and I am going to suggest to my principal that she should post a pod cast at least once a month. Overall technology is something we cannot just put aside for a later time. It is becoming bigger and bigger and we see it everyday when our students are texting and using their phones as their information portals. We need to keep up with the technological advances and use them in the classroom so that our students become more technology savvy.

No comments:

Post a Comment